Our first Within School Leaders meeting for this year was held on Thursday 12th March at Takapuna Primary School. Thanks to the Takapuna Primary School’s Acting Principal, Devika Tagg and our Across School Lead, Abbe Waghorn for providing the venue and an amazing spread of refreshments.
We opened with a welcome from Devika, a mihi, our Pupuke Kahui Ako Waiata and an update from our Lead Principal Julie Saikkonen. Julie shared some current and upcoming opportunities within our community for professional learning etc. The key events in 2020 are Musical Gala on Tuesday 26th May and CoLAB on Friday 29th May.
Our Vision and Within School Lead roles were revisited – Our Kāhui Ako vision is to extend, develop and connect our work as a community to ensure that our young people are; engaged, connected to their community, to the North Shore, to New Zealand and to the world. We want them to develop the competencies and vision to extend those connections throughout their lives. Our vision is New Zealand’s vision; we want our young people to be confident, connected, actively involved lifelong learners.
Within School Lead Role
- Raise student achievement through professional learning
- Expand career opportunities which allow teachers to use and develop their professional leadership skills while remaining in the classroom
- Promote best teaching practice within our school
- Strengthen the use of an inquiry approach to teaching and learning to achieve the shared achievement objectives.
ASL shared a brief update on their portfolios. The WSL’s had an opportunity to connect and network with each other and look at ways in which to assist with CoLAB Teacher Only Day by –
- Shoulder tapping staff to present
- Looking back on inquiries from 2018-19 – programmes, initiatives etc
- Ideas for contributors within and outside our COL
- Brainstorm possibilities /connections